Monday, December 24, 2018

Freedom

A lot of things have changed in the course of my 20s. Now that I'm 30...it's as if the light has been turned on. I'm finally coming into myself. I'm learning who I am, what I want/need, and just being comfortable with myself. The biggest lesson that will forever be a lifelong journey is UNLEARNING bad habits.

I'm done talking about shit, I just do it. For a couple of years now I have been talking about cutting my locs. I said when I turned 30. Part of me has been afraid to do such a major change. But this year, I understood how necessary it was to go thru with it. I started my locs in 2009, when I came home from the Navy. I had them for officially 9 years. My mentor aka my other mom is the one that always did my hair. I've been begging & pleading for her to cut them. She kept telling me no. In November I FINALLY wore her down and she said fine. I was shocked that she actually agreed.

Long story, short....up until the day of, I wasn't sure how to feel. I was scared of what people might say, their reactions & I didn't want to explain my decision. On Saturday, 12/22/2018...it was about to go down! I had made my mind up that I was happy, excited, nervous and ready. On my way to my loctician's house....I had a conversation with God & myself. I was good.

I got to her house and she cut my locs super fast. The first section she cut, I was like omg!!! She said, "nope you can't turn back now." 😐 She was done in about 15 mins. It was such a crazy feeling to actually rub my hands thru my scalp and SEE my hair this short. Shortly after she washed it and headed to the barbershop. We got there somewhat early too & it was packed. 🙄 I waited about 2 hours & then her brother cut it. I can't lie, my anxiety was super high. I kept feeling myself tense up...but at the same time I was doing my damnest to stay calm.

He finished in about 40 mins. Went back to her house, and she dyed it. It was really sinking in what I had just did. Overall, I'm glad that I did it. I feel so free. I pray this feeling will roll over into other aspects of my life in 2019. Some might say that this was a drastic decision....but it wasn't. It was planned.

With me cutting my locs after 9 years...it's like I let go of so much dead weight, literally & figuratively. I don't expect other folks to understand. I don't care what people say. At the end of the day, I did it for me & only me.

IT 👏🏽IS 👏🏽JUST👏🏽 HAIR!!! It will grow back. I am becoming more comfortable within who I am. I'm cool with it. You ain't gotta agree but you will respect it.

It's all about freedom & healing. I'm claiming it in all aspects of my life. And I believe this is the first step in the right direction.

I'm with the shitz. ❤

No comments: